Visit and expert talks at Etchmiadzin Cathedral
Within the framework of the end of the project "Stones in Armenian Architecture" a visit and an expert discussion on the current restoration works of Etchmiadzin Cathedral took place.
The original church was built in the early fourth century. It was built over pagan temple, symbolizing the conversion from paganism to Christianity. never losing its significance, the cathedral subsequently suffered centuries of virtual neglect. In 1441 it was restored as catholicosate. Since then the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin has been the administrative headquarters of the Armenian Church.
ACS is currently working on a concept to reduce gypsum crusts and salt contamination, a major problem of historic structures in Armenia.